Monday, November 26, 2012

The sock game or "I protect my Mom"

September 27, 2012

Day 5 with Chester: Yesterday started out a very quiet day around our house. Chester and I made one trip in the car about 15 miles each way, he loves to ride. While I was in the store (about 20 minutes), he sat up in the back seat watching the door I entered (I parked in a space where I could see him). When I returned, he looked happy but of course he still doesn't wag his tail. It's not always tu
cked between his legs but it hasn't wagged yet.

Late morning and we went to the back yard for a potty break. Casey can't pass up a reason to go and find out what's going on. They each did their "thing" and Casey picked up a ball and starting running with it, I chased her and Chester ran alongside me back and forth in the yard, chasing the same direction (another first). He wasn't playing "with" us but was trying to join in the fun.

As previously mentioned, Chester eats from a lying down position. I bring his food and water to him. The only time he sits or stands to eat is when I've left the room and he thinks I can't see him. After his lunch, I ate mine that consisted of homemade veggie beef soup with big chunks of meat and veggies. Chester was sitting in the corner by my computer desk and I offered him a piece of beef. He watched my hand (palm up) but hesitated because it was just barely out of reach. I just sat there, not moving, with the meat in hand. Finally he took one little step forward, stretched his tongue and got the meat. The next piece was easier and a cooked carrot (he likes those too). More meat and one more step. Keep in mind this dog is taller than Casey, but not as long-bodied. Casey weighs 90 lbs (will get to 85 which is what the vet says is her optimal) ... Chester is 55 lbs. That was his first time eating in front of people while sitting up ... YAY!! And he licked my hands clean, and then some.

Our routine here is that Glenn and Casey always take naps after lunch. We all eat in the family room (Man and dog cave basement), then they take their naps and I head upstairs. Sometimes I nap, if I've started my day before 5 a.m. (which I do occasionally). Since Chester has been in the family, I've made a point to go to bed and read or watch TV while he goes to his kennel/bed as he needs all the rest he can get to help overcome some of his stress. Yesterday I had some work on the computer, so I came here to my office room instead. Chester curled up in his corner and watched me and dozed a bit. About 30 minutes later he sat up, looked at me, and trotted across the hall to my bedroom, went in his kennel/bed and was asleep in 10 minutes. "So there Mom, you don't even know the routine around here ... after lunch is bed and a nap. If you won't do it, I will go myself." I had to laugh.

After nap time we headed downstairs to the back yard for potty breaks. There were kids down the street playing in their yard on a trampoline and some little girls were screeching (like they do). Chester kept looking that direction and circling around and heading to the slider door to go inside. I walked to the far end of our yard and sat on the grass. I called him, saying "potty" ... nothing, just standing in front of the door. Finally I called him by name "Chester, momma's boy" and he came to me and stood by my side. Then he went back to the door. I called him again ... he came again and again about 4 times, each time eventually returning to the door, but he was definitely answering my call. He did calm down enough to potty and we returned inside.

Okay, I saved the best for last (and still in sequence). Last night after dinner we were all downstairs in the family room. Chester was under his favorite end table, Glenn was stretched out on the couch, Casey sitting by him, I was in my rocker. Glenn and Casey have a game they sometimes play ... she picks up a sock, he says "who has my sock?" ... she runs, he chases her (she runs in circles around the room with sock in her mouth), eventually he lets her keep it. Sometimes Glenn grabs an end of it and they play tug-o-war and if Casey is really being playful, she'll growl a bit. We try to play where Chester can watch so he can learn to be a dog too.

She rarely barks and only growls when they're playing this game. Usually her bark means "come pet me ... didn't you see me here? that's why I'm here, so you can pet me, don't just walk by."

Last night Glenn was tired and Casey still wanted to play so I picked up where he left off. I chased around the room for a few minutes (Chester just watching from under his table). Then I caught the sock and Casey and I played tug-o-war a minute ... then she started her playful growl ... whoa!! Chester sat up, stood up, took a step forward from under the table and BARKED and lunged forward (showing teeth) like he was going to bite (but didn't) at Casey. Casey backed off, the hair on her neck straight up. Chester curled back up under the table. Casey walked back over to him (nose-to-nose) and told him it was okay, tail wagging and that was the end of it.

I don't think you need to be a dog psychologist to say that Chester has bonded with me and knows I'm his Mom. Here's this skinny, frail 55 pound rescue dog who's afraid of his own shadow and jumps at any sudden noise or movement, getting tough with a well-adjusted, existing resident 90 pound dog ... in order to protect me.

Needless to say, I won't play growling games with Casey anymore. Chester was okay when Glenn and Casey were playing, he just watched, no intent on interfering.

Side note: when I first started the process to get a dog for "me" ... I was concerned that the second dog in the family would also bond with Glenn and be "his". Casey was originally bought to be my dog but she bonded with Glenn when he had an accident the day after she came into the household. They have a very special bond and I wanted that kind of relationship for myself. Chester is mine and I am his ... and the story continues tomorrow.

ps - Chester snored in his sleep last night. I left the bedroom a few times and he never even stirred. About time he got some good restful sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment