Monday, November 26, 2012

Don't take my bone

October 1, 2012

Chester – Day 9

Apparently yesterday’s idea to force Chester to accept the upstairs living area with open drapes and no dark corners has started to work. Chester is a quick-study. I thought he might be, but learned as a parent that our own knowledge of capability isn’t always on track with what the child (or dog) is ready to accept.

This morning after our first-thing trip to the basement to go out back to potty, the rest of us came upstairs. Chester usually sits in his corner for a long time by himself after we leave. The past few days he’s managed enough courage to climb the stairs and sneak down the hallway to the office or his kennel/bed. Today he was literally behind me on the stairs. When he got upstairs he went to his bed, but didn’t lie down. Instead he followed me back out of the room and went into the dining room and living room. Then by himself he went to my office, he knows that’s a safe bet because I spend more time here than other places upstairs.

Today I’m going to concentrate on the rest of my neglected housework, so Chester will have to follow me around if he wants attention. Attention and food are tied for importance with him at this point. And if it involves me, I’m sure he thinks they’re one and the same.

This afternoon Glenn is taking both dogs (first time by himself) for a ride to town. I’m looking forward to a good treadmill workout while they’re gone. Chester will eventually be my 5K buddy but for now he won’t walk without the slower, sometimes clumsy Casey.

We’re making some really good progress on some fronts and not so much on others. Throughout the day today Chester got up and wandered around. He mostly does this when he thinks no one is in the room or at least where we can’t see him. He’s fearful of being seen (or caught) moving about the house? That’s revealing, but pitiful.

Before dinner tonight, we were all in the basement watching baseball on TV. Chester was parked under his table. Glenn was sitting on the sofa. Casey was lying on the floor next to him. I gave each of the dogs a pork chew bone. Casey loves these but I’ve never seen Chester chew anything other than food or milk bone type treats. They each took theirs and started chewing them. I laughed because they looked like mirror images of each other, holding the bone upright in their paws on the floor and chewing the other end. Maybe an hour later Casey was done with hers and Chester had chewed about half. He wasn’t interested in more at that time. I left the room for a minute and Glenn was on the phone so neither of us saw exactly what happened, but I came back to loud barking and growling. Chester was still more under the table except his head and he was holding onto Casey’s neck. Her head was also partially under the table; she was growling and trying to get back at him. I popped Casey with the end of a blanket and she backed away to another part of the room. Chester sat back down under the table. Apparently Casey decided she wanted that portion of a bone since he wasn’t eating it. No skin was broken but I’m sure Casey will now have more respect for Chester’s space. Tonight we discovered that Chester is starting to feel “entitled” … he will fight for food, belongings and me.

They each ate their dog food in the same room after the incident … Glenn gave Casey hers and I gave Chester his bowl. Note: Casey has decided that eating a bit of dog food at night isn’t the end of the earth since Chester does it. Previously she didn’t think she was a dog so it didn’t make sense to eat that food.

The rest of the evening that was spent in the basement together they kept their distance but Casey kept an eye on Chester. Tomorrow’s morning walk will be telling of their attitude towards each other. Actually I don’t expect any changes in their behavior but ground rules are being established so hopefully they’ll both respect those and continue to enjoy each other in their big sister and little brother roles.

Note: Chester has just begun a very quiet whine today. I think it may be his way of saying he needs to go outside to potty. Casey scratches at the slider door, even gently on the screen door, or she licks Glenn’s face if he’s asleep. Chester had a doggy door at his foster home prior to coming here. Since he’s been here I make sure to take him out on a regular basis so he probably hasn’t needed to let us know until this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment