Saturday, January 19, 2013

A test of wills


Chester's Tales ... diary of a Golden Retriever rescue dog.

On Thursday I was surprised and a bit disappointed when Chester weighed in at only 68 pounds on the vet's scale. That's a good thing because it still means he's gained about 13-15 pounds since late September. But to me he looks heavier than that and his ribs don't show anymore.

This morning, on our walk, I was very glad that's all he weighs. I had just completed my normal workout on the treadmill but decided to take Chester for his walk before I cooled down.

We got across the street okay but then he balked - no particular reason, no one around, no strange noises in the area. He was testing my will. I'm surprised he hasn't figured that one out yet. He should ask our grown kids about Mom's determination. Shoot, he could have even asked his adopted sister Casey. She has stories from puppy obedience training with Mom that might curl Chester's hair.

Chester pulled back on the leash and halter trying to get loose. I grabbed his halter closer and pulled the other way. He planted all four feet, then turned around and pulled away the other direction. He squeezed his shoulders so tightly together he looked half his width (an escape trick that's previously been successful even with a snug halter). That's when I looked at him and said, "Okay, you want it that way?" Then I literally picked him up off his feet and put him on the grass and dragged him by the halter about 10 feet in the direction I wanted to go. We walked about 30 feet and he tried the process again (to no avail).

When he finally gave up and walked, it was the most beautiful walk he's ever had ... no unnecessary stopping, no running, no getting ahead of me. We are perfectly suited to each other for the length of strides and pace. He stayed by my side for the entire walk. Someone in his life, before his life as an abused puppy mill breeder, must have taken the time to walk him. He heels too well to know that from instinct. It's the most beautiful fluid motion.

Note to Chester: your new Mom is an old softy regarding food and toys. She pets you all the time and snuggles you and praises you even for small improvements. Mom will always let you win when you are legitimately frightened. She will even let you have your way when it comes to your new preference to sleep in the basement with Dad and Casey. What she won't do is let you hide in your corner comfort zone forever. You will have a full life with a variety of experiences. Now that you've proven to be capable of walking alone with Mom, that includes taking those walks. So, for now maybe you shouldn't gain weight too quickly.

Sixty-eight pounds isn't as easy to manhandle as you might think.

No comments:

Post a Comment