Friday, February 8, 2013

Chester changes

A few days ago Chester added a new dimension to his favorite creature comforts. His chosen daytime haunt isn't Casey's old dog bed beside Glenn's bed. It's not even the blanket and yesterday's dirty clothes that Glenn drops by the other side of the bed. Those were all well and good for a week or so. Now he's taken over the bed itself. Not Casey's, but Glenn's. He takes short naps there, all stretched out like he hasn't a care in the world (he hasn't, but never acted that way before).  He sits up and checks to see what I'm doing here in the next room (there's an open doorway between us so he can monitor my actions). His vantage point is better from the height of the bed as opposed to floor space on either side.

Chester has finally learned to enjoy cuddling. Previously he not only wouldn't look at you but he resisted petting or close contact of any kind. Not long after he began looking "at" people, he also started to rise to meet your hand when you pet his head. Now he loves it when you wrap your body close to him. Yesterday when I sat on the bed to cuddle him, he savored it for awhile, then raised his head and craned his neck suddenly to see over my prone body. Apparently I was in the way of a television commercial he liked. Go figure!!

Being with Chester on a daily basis makes it difficult to pick up on the tiny improvements in his life. Yesterday while I was brushing him, I was surprised at how much hair is on his body. When he came to us his hair coat was minimal, brittle, dry and thin. What little hair he had was over a bony frame with pale skin showing through. Now he not only has more flesh on his bones, but he's growing lots of shiny, healthy hair. He even has a bit of the soft down undercoat hair that Goldens are supposed to have. Like any of the water dogs, they have an undercoat of hair that insulates and protects their skin from wet and cold even when they wade in ponds during winter weather. They were bred to retrieve waterfowl after all.

Other recent changes include his approaches to us (all the way from basement bedroom, through a doorway and into the family room) when we offer him certain treats. Previously even when Chester made attempts to approach, he rarely crossed a threshold. He would stand and walk to the doorway, look around to see if danger was around the corner. Then likely he'd retreat to his original position on a bed or under a table. Now it only takes one mention of "chicken", "duck", "biscuit" or "bone" to get his attention. He knows what each treat means and is anxious to get any one of them. When we first got him, food was important and to be protected but treats weren't necessarily enough to cause him to approach. He'd accept them if we brought the snack to his secluded location. Also, I've mentioned in previous episodes that he will approach when he sees his halter. He sits or stands, waiting patiently for it and the leash to be locked into place. A ride in the car or a walk in the neighborhood is special and worth standing still for the necessary halter and leash.

The sight of car keys will also cause Chester to approach and wait for his halter and leash. That's a fairly consistent behavior with most dogs. Chester has now upped the game. He approaches for the halter and leash when I put certain shoes on or when I dress with nice jeans, shirt and a jacket. He knows that I spend my days in casual clothes and sock-footed. When Mom puts on shoes and wears a jacket, it's time to go ... someplace ... any place ... I don't care ... we're going. Yay!! The exciting part for me will be when he not only wants to go, but when he's okay getting back out of the car ... or when he's okay actually seeing other people or dogs. To date he loves to ride and enjoys our walks, but he is still frightened when we venture out of his usual walking route or when we expect him to exit the vehicle. Danger is everywhere, just ask a rescue dog.

The only sound Chester ever makes is a quiet squeaky whistle/whine. That's the only way I can describe it. It's such a soft noise that Glenn didn't even hear it at first even when I brought it to his attention. In the beginning Chester only made the noise while he walked towards me, if I'd been away from him for awhile (like to welcome me back). I never left his side for more than an hour or so at a time, like to go upstairs to prepare a meal. That behavior only lasted several weeks but Chester still makes the same sound when in distress. If he's had an accident he alerts us as soon as we enter the room (the times we've failed to get him outside soon enough after eating). Sometimes I hear him whistle when he and I first go outside in the morning while I'm waiting for him to potty after breakfast. Like I said, I'm certain the noise is a distress call of sorts, but it's very quiet and only used to express his concern.

Although Chester is very definitely my dog and companion, he has begun to trust Glenn more lately. He does spend much of his day on Glenn's bed and occasionally hangs out there in the evening with Glenn and Casey. It's funny to see all three of them sitting or lying around on the bed, watching TV westerns.

This morning we had a rare treat, but I hope it becomes habit. Glenn came upstairs with Casey, like every morning ... headed to the garage for their morning of woodworking. Chester has the option any morning to return upstairs but he prefers his own space in the basement. Today Chester joined them and walked upstairs with them. Glenn and Casey headed to the garage. Chester came to my office. He followed me to the kitchen and he "walked" onto the sofa in that room. Next he went to my bedroom where I thought he might grab another stuffed animal toy. No interest in that. For about 20 minutes, he simply followed me around, on his own, wherever I was (that's a real first). He once spent time with me like that but only when I brought him room to room with his leash, with few exceptions. This morning he eventually walked down the stairwell and waited at the door for me to let him back to his basement hangout. But it was Chester's idea this morning to be upstairs with me and that's impressive and touching. Note: Chester "walks" onto furniture. Casey jumps onto sofas, her chair downstairs, the beds. Chester "walks" onto furniture, even our tall beds. He is so lanky and long-bodied and his legs are so long, he simply and gracefully places a front foot up, then steps up with a back leg and so on until he's where he wants to be. I love just watching him move, it's effortless and fluid.

We can't say that every day is something new with Chester ... but when he takes a step in the direction of becoming a happy, well-adjusted dog, it's certainly something to write about.



No comments:

Post a Comment