Saturday, December 8, 2012

Follow me

For two months we've taught Chester to move throughout the house on a leash. He's always good about it; sits there and waits to be hooked up. But he never initiates the move himself. When returning upstairs he now stops part way up the stairs for me to unhook the leash. Then he scampers the rest of the way on his own and runs back to our bedroom. Showing a bit of independence is a great indication that he's starting to heal.

Glenn and I feed the dogs about the same times each day. Potty breaks outside are scheduled about the same times each day as well. We know that repetition is important in learning anything new, for people or dogs. But we feel that in Chester's situation it's probably more so because he needs an extra level of comfort before he'll even attempt anything new. 

Chester ignores normal dog obedience commands. In fact, until recently he ignored anything we said, literally. No eye contact, no movement on his part at all as if he didn't even hear us. We know he's not deaf, he just chose to tune people out of his life. He only sits on command when I hold a treat above his head and say "sit". I could say "run" and he'd still do the same thing because it's a cheat and he's not obeying. It's instinct when dogs look straight up, their bottoms automatically hit the floor. That's the only time Chester will sit on command, if I raise a treat above his head.

At first I had to drag Chester everywhere. I should have made a video of me pulling his leash, sliding him along the hardwood floors down the hallway. At that time I kept the halter on him except when he was ready for bed. Trust me, it's easier pulling a dog on a halter than with just a collar (and safer for him). The visual of that makes me laugh now ... this 55 pound dog just sitting there, sliding down the hallway. It wasn't so funny at the time. On carpeted floors I had to physically lift him up to get him to start moving and he stopped frequently for any number of reasons. When Chester decided that it was okay to walk with me we stopped using the halter inside the house. 

Yesterday morning when I woke up, he was in the middle of our bedroom floor playing with one of his prized stuffed animals. That's a fairly new behavior and he only does it when he thinks I'm still asleep, or when I'm out of the room. Anyway, I dragged myself out of bed, put my shoes on and a jacket and grabbed the leash for our normal walk downstairs to go outside. Chester stretched, as usual, and walked towards me. But instead of sitting to wait for his leash, he got up and headed to the door and all the way outside with me following him. When Chester decided it was time to return upstairs, he walked to the basement door and waited for me to open it (another first).  That probably doesn't sound like a big deal to most people either, but it's a positive sign. Our dog who acts like a stuffed animal and lives under tables and in corners is feeling confident that he can express his wishes and won't be punished for it.

This morning was the same. He waited for me to get ready, headed to the door, down the long hallway, around the corner and downstairs, across the family room and out to the back yard ... all by himself. Amazing how much pride I have just watching him do things that should be natural to any dog.

Progress comes slowly for Chester but every bit of it will help him become a well adjusted and happy dog. One step at a time and someday he'll follow me anywhere.







No comments:

Post a Comment